Skip to main content

Baldwin Park High School

Mobile Menu Toggle
En Español Login
Counselors » Undocumented Student Resources

Undocumented Student Resources

DREAMers/Undocumented/AB540 Students
You can still go to college to college in California even with the current political climate. Keep in mind:
  • In-state tuition eligibility has expanded
    You may qualify for lower tuition cost even if you didn’t attend 3 years of high school in California.
  • CA Dream Act is still in place
    Submit your application before March 2nd at
  • Scholarships are always available
    Scholarships can help you cover the cost of attending college. Scholarships are awarded based on grades, community service, your intended major, where you live, and more. 

A Note to Undocumented Students [PDF]. (n.d.). Immigrants Rising.

California Community College System
The California Community Colleges is the largest system of higher education in the nation, with 2.1 million students attending 115 colleges.  Our colleges provide students with the knowledge and background necessary to compete in today's economy.  With a wide range of educational offerings, the colleges provide workforce training, basic courses in English and math, certificate and degree programs and preparation for transfer to four-year institutions. 
To learn more visit:  California Community Colleges
To apply visit: 
California State University System
The California State University (CSU), is the nation's largest comprehensive higher education system with 23 campuses including the local campuses of Cal State Los Angeles, Cal Poly Pomona, and Cal State Fullerton.
Each year, the university awards more than 120,000 degrees. CSU graduates are serving as leaders in the industries that drive California's economy, including business, agriculture, entertainment, engineering, teaching, hospitality, and healthcare.
To learn more visit:
To apply visit: 
University of California
The University of California (UC) is the world's largest leading public research university system.  With 10 campuses, 5 medical centers, and 3 national laboratories. Local campuses include UCLA, UC Irvine, and UC Riverside.  Today, the UC system includes more than 238,000 students and more than 190,000 faculty and staff with more then 1.7 million alumni living and working around the world.
To learn more visit: 
Private, Independent, and Out-of-State College & Universities
Most colleges consider undocumented students as international students, which means that undocumented students are competing with international applicants for financial aid. But when a college considers undocumented students as domestic students, undocumented students are more likely to get good financial aid packages. For a list of all of the private colleges who have changed their admissions policies to admit undocumented students as domestic students instead of international students, click here.
Dreamer/Undocumented/AB540  students can apply for the following financial aid:
  • Cal Grant, Chafee Grant, Middle Class Scholarship
  • UC Grants, State University Grants
  • California College Promise Grant (Community College)
  • Some University scholarships
  • Some private scholarships administered by campuses
Dreamer/Undocumented/AB540 Cal Grants include:
  • High School Entitlement Cal Grant A & B
  • CCC Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant A & B
  • Cal Grant C
Dreamers are not eligible to receive Competitive Cal Grants.
Step 1 
Find out inf you meet the requirements to qualify for in-state tuition in California.
Step 2
Apply for Cal Grants via the California Dream Act application. 
Click this link for checklist to ensure you have completed all the steps necessary to be considered for all available state financial aid.For assistance completing the California Dream Act please visit the College & Career Center.
Step 3 (Males Only)
Register for the Selective Service.
Under the Military Selective Service virtually all male U.S. citizen, regardless of where they live, and male immigrants, whether documented or undocumented residing in the United States, who are 18-25 are required to register with Selective Service. It is important to know that even through a man is registered, he will not automatically be inducted into the military.  Registering with Selective Service does not mean you are joining the military.  In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in a sequence determined by random lottery numbers and year of birth.  Pending other evaluations they would then be deferred or exempt from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces. 
Remember, by registering, a young man stays eligible for jobs, college loans and grants, job training, driver's license in most states, and US citizenship for immigration.
If you do not have a Social Security Number, click here to download the registration form.
Step 4
Create an account on webgrants4students. This is how you will view and accept Cal Grant awards.
There is support at California Colleges & Universities. To find information on campus centers for undocumented students, support programs and more, click here
Immigration Services
The California Department of Social Services funds programs at community based organizations that help immigrants who live in California. The programs offer many types of free legal services, as well as information about other services that support immigrants such as outreach, community education, and other immigration remedies. These organizations can teach you about your rights and some can also give legal advice on how to change your immigration status. Legal services include access to information and application assistance for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Naturalization, Other Immigration Remedies (OIR), and immigration protections for Unaccompanied Undocumented Minors (UUMs).
Visit their website for more information.